BESH Stat is a free open-source statistical add-in for Microsoft® Excel® spreadsheet software. It extends Excel’s capabilities to perform various statistical analysis that are commonly used in medical research. I created BESH Stat as a hobby project starting in around 2010. Originally it was a couple of Excel® macros. Some of them I published separately, like for example Microsoft Excel add-in for the statistical analysis of contingency tables (supported by Cultural and Educational Grant Agency of the Ministry of Education, Science, Research and Sport of the Slovak Republic KEGA 003UK-4/2012 project) but now are all together in one tool – the BESH Stat, and I keep adding new features and collaboration with Dr. Iveta Waczulikova and the team of researchers of the project (KEGA 041UK-4/2020) from Division of Biomedical Physics, Dpt. of Nuclear Physics and Biophysics, Faculty of Mathematics, Physics, and Informatics Comenius University in Bratislava.
BESH Stat offers a graphical user interface (GUI) to perform your analysis similar to the Excel® Analysis ToolPak. You don’t need to write any excel functions to the cells on worksheet all you need to do is just to select appropriate method from the BESH Stat menu, select the input range/output range and hit the run button.
BESH Stat comes GUI offers a context help that is provided from the stand alone help file that comes with the BESH Stat add-in. Help file describes all (most) of it’s features. (Note: I’m still working on it so not all sections are ready yet.). Download the latest version here.
Statistical tests and methods
The BESH Stat features are split into few sub-menus:
- Testing Assumptions
- Normality tests
- Outlier tests
- Homogeneity of Variance
- (A)Symmetry testing
- Descriptive Statistics
- Normal Plot
- Box & Whiskers
- ROC Curve
- Kaplan-Meier plot
- Parametric Tests
- One-way ANOVA
- One-way Repeated Measures ANOVA
- Non-parametric Tests
- Wilcoxon Signed Ranks
- Cochran’s Q
- Non-parametric correlation coefficients
- Nonparametric Simple Regression
- Contingency Table Analysis
- analysis on 2 x 2 tables – Chi2 test of independence, Fisher’s Exact Test, Cramer’s V, Phi, Odds Ratio, Risk Ratio
- analysis on R x C tables – Chi2 test of independence, Cramer’s V, Phi, Cochran-Armitage Test
- Proportions – single, two paired, two independent
- Survival Analysis
- Kaplan-Meier Plot
- Log-rank Test
- Cox Regression
- Regression Models
- Multiple Linear Regression
- Cox Proportional Hazar Regression
- Binary Logistic Regression
- Multinomial Logistic Regression
- Sample Size Calculation
- Paired T-test
- Unpaired T-test
- Single Proportion
- Two-Independent Proportions
- Hardy-Weinberg Equilibrium
- Add a trend line – a menu option that is available only when excel chart is activated.
- I cautiously control the size of the BESH Stat and do my best to keep it at minimum to minimize the effect on the Excel® start up and overall performance.
- BESH Stat is compatible with Microsoft® Excel® 2007-2019 for Windows®. It is not compatible with Excel® for Mac.